June 1, 2023 — So, you wanna become a firefighter. Or maybe just curious about it. Spoiler alert: firefighters in the Philippines are paid well and get significant additional benefits and bonuses than most careers. Not to mention the job security knowing that you’re working in the government.
The first step is to become eligible and to become eligible, you need to pass the Fire Officer Exam or FOE. Every year, the Civil Service Commission, in coordination with the Bureau of Fire Protection, conducts the Fire Officer Exam.
The Civil Service Commission has no announcement yet about the schedule of the Fire Officer Exam 2023. The last time they conducted an exam was on October 23, 2022. We will update this announcement as soon as we get an update.
- Fully accomplished CS Form No. 100 Revised September 2016 which you can get here.
- Original and photocopy of your valid ID.
- Four (4) pcs passport-size pictures.
- Examination fee of Php 700.00 (non-refundable).
- The spaces for the signature and thumbmark should be left blank. These shall be accomplished in the presence of the CSC application processor.
- White background, and is taken within 3 months before the filing of the application. No eyeglasses, colored contact lenses, or any accessories that may cover your facial features. No Photoshop, please.
- Filipino citizens between 21 to 30 years old at the time of filing.
- Bachelors degree holder.
- Good moral character (has not been convicted by final judgment of an offense or crime).
- Mentally and physically fit.
- Has not been dishonorably discharged from military service, or dismissed caused from any civilian position in the government.
The Fire Officer Exam (FOE) is a 150-item exam that needs to be completed within 3 hours and 5 minutes. You need to get 120 correct answers or 80% to pass the exam.
While CSC doesn’t publish any review materials for the FOE, they released an exam advisory showing the topics that will be covered during the exam.
- General Ability (25%)
- Fire Suppression (30%)
- Fire Safety and Prevention (20%)
- Fire Investigation (15%)
- Administrative Matters (10%)
General Ability: Verbal, Analytical, Numerical.
Fire Suppression: Pre-Fire Planning. Firefighting Techniques and Procedures. Tools, Equipment, and Apparatus.
Fire Safety and Prevention: Fire Code of the Philippines. Fire Safety Related Codes, NFPA, and other BFP issuances like building and electrical codes. BFP Citizens Charter, SOP/MCs on Fire Safety Inspection.
Fire Investigation: The Law on Arson in the Philippines including the rights of the accused, rules of court. Procedures and Techniques. SOPs on Fire and Arson Investigation.
Administrative Matters: Republic Acts 6975, 9263, 9592 and their Implementing Rules and Regulations. CSC Rules, Regulations, and Qualification Standards. BFP Memo Circulars and SOPs on Administrative Matters.
|I||San Fernando City|
|III||City of San Fernando|
|X||Cagayan de Oro City|
General Santos City
The Fire Officer Exam will start at 8:00 AM and will end at 11:05 AM. Be at the testing center no later than 6:30 AM. Please be guided as well by the following:
- Bring a valid ID. Preferably the same ID presented during the filing of the application. No ID card, no exam**.
- Wear proper attire, preferably a plain white shirt. Don’t wear sleeveless, shorts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- Long hair must be tied into a ponytail.
- Examinees are not allowed to bring the following:
- pens or eyeglasses with a built-in camera
- wristwatches with calculator
- books and other printed materials
- Using any aid in answering the test is not allowed.
- Do not bring the test booklet outside the testing venue.
**If you lost your ID card, just present any accepted valid ID. Photocopy of ID card or cellphone photo ID will not be accepted. If an ID card has no date of birth, just bring an original PSA-issued birth certificate.
Warning about cheating
The Civil Service Commission (CSC) uses a highly reliable system to detect cheating.
Cheating refers to any act or omission before, during, or after any exam that will directly (or indirectly) undermine the integrity of the exam. It’s criminally and administratively punishable under Republic Act No. 9416.
Cheating comes in forms, but is not limited to, the following:
- Use of “kodigo” containing codes in any form.
- Employing a “poste” that may provide answers.
- A collusion of whatever nature between examinees and examiner.
- Examinee number switching.
- Unauthorized possession, use, reproduction, and dissemination of exam-related materials.
- Possession or use of fake eligibility.
- Other acts that facilitate passing the exam.
Bringing the test booklet outside the testing room/venue is strictly prohibited. The test results of those found violating this rule shall be canceled.
What is the BFP age limit?
According to their published qualification standards, a BFP Fire Officer needs to be at least 21 years old but not over 30 years old.
What is the BFP height limit?
Male applicants should be at least 1.57 meters while females should be at least 1.52 meters tall. This is inline with RA 11549 which lowered the height requirements for uniformed personnel.
Can I join the BFP even without taking or passing the Fire Officer Exam?
You can still join the BFP and become a fire officer even without passing or taking the FOE so long as you are a Civil Service Exam – Professional level passer.
Passing the Fire Officer Exam, or FOE is not all there is if you want to join the Bureau of Fire Protection. In fact, it’s just the start. But hurdling this first step is huge.
- Exam Advisory No. 16, s. 2022 (n.d.). Retrieved from Civil Service Commission.