In this review, you must choose the best antonym for the word given. This can help can you prepare for the upcoming Civil Service Exam or CSE.
1. Czarmaine accompanied her sister to the drugstore.
B. let go on one’s own
C. left behind
2. Besides the boulevard are gigantic buildings.
3. He often got into trouble because he was brusque.
4. The reporter’s candid remarks caught the mayoralty candidate off-guard.
5. The mean boys derided the sickly boy.
A. made of fun
6. Charm was ecstatic when she won first prize in the short story writing contest.
7. Migraine headaches are excruciating.
A. extremely painful
B. mild pain
8. The quiz proved to be facile so the students got high scores.
9. The garrulous girls were distanced from each other.
10. The heathens used to practice cannibalism.
A. uncivilized people
B. barbaric people
C. old people
D. cultured people
11. Keep on believing that physical disability is not a hindrance to success.
B. stepping stone
12. Never operate a machine once you are inebriated.
13. The people inveighed against the sharp increase in oil prices.
14. Some people believe that breaking a mirror is a jinx.
A. bad luck
D. good luck
15. The players were confused when the kibitzers suddenly butted- in during the team’s huddle.
16. The lanky lad stood out among the average-sized students.
C. short and stout
D. tall and thin
17. The sickly dog was given a lethal dose of morphine tablets.
18. Heinous criminals are truly loathsome.
19. We listened attentively to the mellifluous sound produced by the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra.
20. The free medical and dental checkup conducted by the AFP Group is just proof of their munificence.
21. Justice calls for penalizing nefarious acts.
22. The MSA Reviewer Books are noteworthy materials.
23. You will never get sufficient nourishment if you are obdurate in refusing to eat vegetables.
24. Don’t be so obtrusive but instead, mind your own business.
25. I admire people who are modest despite their opulence.
A. great wealth
26. Do you always try to be a paragon of virtue?
27. tragic stories had so much pathos that they left me feeling down.
28. Chin is such a precocious girl who can already read at age three.
A. slow learner
29. She had the quixotic idea that she was a reincarnation of a British princess.
30. The ramshackle building collapsed easily.
31. An A-rating represents the ultimate honor a film will ever have.
32. CJ de Silva’s painting abilities are uncanny.
33. Lea Salonga’s performance was utterly delightful.
34. The strong current of the floodwaters caused the wooden bridges to vacillate.
D. be firm
35. The vindictive politician spread rumors about his opponent.
36. If words were swords, then her vitriolic remarks could really kill.
37. Many students vouch for the effectiveness of the MSA Review classes.
38. That yonder youth is more studious than the nearer one.
39. MSA tutors are all zealous tutors who nourish eager minds.
40. Don’t let trivial things upset you.
|1. B||9. D||17. B||25. B||33. A|
|2. A||10. D||18. C||26. D||34. D|
|3. C||11. B||19. A||27. D||35. B|
|4. C||12. A||20. D||28. A||36. D|
|5. C||13. C||21. A||29. C||37. D|
|6. A||14. D||22. C||30. A||38. C|
|7. C||15. A||23. B||31. C||39. C|
|8. A||16. C||24. A||32. B||40. A|
Other CSE English reviewer
|CSE English Reviewer||No. of Items|
|Single-word Analogy||40 items|
|Double-word Analogy||40 items|
|Paragraph Development||10 items|
|Grammar and Correct Usage||40 items|