Overview: The FEMA IS-1113 course was published on 8/17/2015 to assist Insurance agents with their understanding of the Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) and Otherwise Protected Areas (OPAs).
Primary audience: IS-1113 is for Insurance Agents, Engineers, Surveyors, Planners, Floodplain Managers, Building Code Officials and local officials who desire more information about Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) and Otherwise Protected Areas (OPAs) on the Flood Insurance Rate Map
FEMA IS-1113 test answers
Each time this test is loaded, you will receive a unique set of questions and answers. The test questions are scrambled to protect the integrity of the exam.
1. Coastal ecosystems include saline, brackish, and fresh waters.
2. Megan built a beach house in a CBRS area and NFIP flood insurance was issued to her in error. A hurricane recently damaged Megan’s house and flooded it. When Megan files the claim, what will happen?
A. NFIP will refund Megan’s premiums and will not pay the claim.✅
B. NFIP will sell the policy to a private insurer.
C. NFIP will honor the claim.
3. If the date of construction of a building located in a CBRS or OPA is before the Identification Date on the FIRM, an agent can sell NFIP flood insurance to the owner of that building (assuming that the community where that building is located is participating in the NFIP).
4. What is the colloquial name (common nickname) for the Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) and Otherwise Protected Areas (OPAs)?
A. Barrier islands✅
B. Buffer zones
C. COBRA zones
E. Inlet islands
5. One way to find out if a building is in a CBRS or OPA is to check with the mortgage company that provided financing for the building.
6. John’s building in a CBRS has flood insurance through the NFIP because his building was constructed before the CBRS prohibition date. John has asked his insurance agent for additional coverage because he has substantially improved his building (by more than 50% of the building’s market value). John’s building is still eligible for NFIP flood insurance.
7. Who determines and maps the boundaries of the CBRS and OPAs?
B. Department of the Interior U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service✅
C. Department of Defense
D. Department of Agriculture
8. Only Congress has the authority to modify the boundaries of the CBRS, through legislation.
9. Areas around the Great Lakes are part of the CBRS and OPAs.
10. What is the purpose of the creation of the CBRS?
A. Minimize loss of human life
B. Reduce wasteful expenditures
C. Preserve ecological integrity
D. All of these are true✅
E. None of these are true
11. Does the Coastal Barrier Resources Act prohibit development in the CBRS or OPAs?
12. Flood insurance through the NFIP is available for new or substantially improved buildings within the CBRS.
13. The Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) can be used to make a definitive? in or out? CBRS property determination.