Overview: FEMA IS-66 course was published on 9/19/2022 and covers the lessons necessary for a greater understanding of space weather and its impacts, strengthen understanding of space weather events; the potential impacts from those events; and the roles of the Federal Government as well as the local and jurisdictional Emergency Manager in preparing for and mitigating such impacts.
FEMA IS-66 test answers
1. The most visible attribute of a geomagnetic storm is the
A. interference with HF radio systems
D. color of the moon.
2. Technologies and infrastructure supporting communication networks are at what risk of experiencing degradation from a space weather event?
A. Moderate risk
B. Highest risk
C. Lowest risk
D. not at risk at all
3. Planners should consider how they would operate in an environment without power for up to
A. 5 days
B. one week
C. 3 days
D. two weeks
4. Forecasters use these to predict space weather on time scales ranging from hours to weeks.
A. pie charts
B. numerical models
C. line graphs
D. books about the moon’s gravity
5. SWPC relies on space-based observations and
A. reports from commercial airline pilots
B. satelllite uplink signals
C. ground-based observations✅
D. shifts on the surface of the moon
6. Public health and safety can be affected by space weather due to potential
A. radiation spikes
B. water waste
C. long-term power outages
D. contaminants in the food supply
7. Which are explosive outbursts of plasma from the Sun’s outer atmosphere?
A. Coronal Mass Ejections✅
B. Solar Flares
C. Solar Particle Events
D. Radio Blackouts
8. Communications at what frequency can be affected by space weather?
A. Low frequency
B. Ultra-High frequency
C. High Frequency only✅
9. SPWC notification products include watches, warnings, alerts and
10. Space weather is a consequence of the behavior of
A. the Moon
B. Earth’s satelittes
C. the Sun✅
D. how fast the Earth rotates
11. Forecasters use solar images to analyze active
A. particulate matter strengthening
B. growth and decay
C. Solar regions
12. Solar radiation storms occur when large quantities of accelerated particles impact the Earth. These particles are
A. Nuerons and protons✅
B. Protons and electrons
C. Space dust
D. Near-Earth Satellites
13. North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) is the electric reliability organization for
B. North America
14. Which is not a part of a “PACE” plan?
15. Approximately every 11 years, the Sun’s magnetic field
16. In 2018, this organization was named a global space weather center for the International Civil Aviation Organization.
B. Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA
C. Space Weather Prediction Center
D. Fort Bragg